Foto: New York TImes / Tomas Munita
To the President of the Republic of Peru and the Council of Ministers
To the President of the National Congress and the Ministers of Agriculture, Energy and Mines, Transport and Environment.
To the Governors of the Interregional Amazon Council
To the World Bank and International Cooperation
AIDESEP as the main organization of indigenous peoples of Peru – which articulates 1809 communities, 50 villages, associates in 109 federations and 09 regional organizations – denounces and rejects the destruction of the Amazon rainforest and our villages and demand solutions with public policies and urgent actions that we expose.
Deforestation and non-compliance with climate commitments
Peru has signed international commitments such as “Nationally Determined Contributions” (NDC) to reduce emissions that reheat Peru and the world by 30% by 2030. It also has commitments to donors, multilateral banks and the United Nations, for more than $100 million as the programs of Joint Declaration of Intent between Norway, Germany and Peru , Cooperative Forest Carbon Fund, Forest Investment Plan, UN support program for REDD, Support of Japanese Cooperation for REDD, and others.
Commitments will not be reaching if it does not stop or control Amazonian destruction.
The Peruvian Government (national or regional) encourages, endorses, tolerates or is complicit for incapacity or corruption in the next cases:ü Plantations such as oil palm, cocoa, papaya and others monocultures;ü Legal or illegal gold mining;ü Road projects, such as oil route of Iquitos-Andoas-Sarameriza with 680 km long , Mahogany route with the deception of the “multimodal” of Purus-Iñapari or Papaya route of Yurimaguas – Port; ü Traffic, colonization and invasions of lands; -The waterway that will remove watercourse and banks of Marañon, Ucayali, Amazonas river; ü Illegal logging; ü Massive spills and contamination of oil pipelines, gas pipelines and hydrocarbon operations.
Rules only on paper or applied without effectiveness are not enough. Constraints in human and financial resources neither are pretexts to ask for projects and repeat the waste. Concrete and effective actions are urgently needed in the Amazon rainforest and alongside their people. Lack of political will to reduce disaster. Global warming, now multiplied by the “climate denialism” of D. Trump’s government, is aggravated by local deforestation. That is why our struggle for life in the jungles is reinforced by the NDC’s national goal of reducing deforestation by 30%, which no longer belongs only to the State, but we do our own indigenous peoples and social movements.
Proposals for effective climate and territorial policies and actions:• Presidency of the Council of Ministers, Ministry of Agriculture, Intergovernmental Amazonian Council :
Solving the historical debt of holder 20 mills hectares, including 1317 communities, 5 communal reserves and 5 reserves for villages in isolation, territoriality and collective ownership in 10 villages. Adaptation of the norms on indigenous territories to Convention 169-ILO that includes integral property (soil, subsoil, forest flight) and ownership as people.
• Ministry of Agriculture: Suspension of agribusiness plantations to solve the regulatory confusion and state corruption, which facilitates destruction of primary forests. Sanctioning of land traffic between state and municipal officials and agribusiness intermediaries. Annulment of forest fines to 400 communities for more than US $22 million.
• Ministry of Energy and Mines: Cancellation of mining concessions on places of communities. Support to communities in their mining formalization and use of clean decontamination technologies. Petroperu must adopt prevention, early warning and early action plans with neighboring communities in oil and gas pipelines.
• Ministry of Transportation and Communication: No road without prior titling of communities. Consultation of “good faith” of infrastructure projects to suspend them, reorganize their routes or adopt safeguards. Independent study of waterway impacts for an equitable and informed consultation.
• Congress: Inclusion of “Fund for Amazonian Full Life” in the budget law 2018, with indigenous leadership to promote economies “inside” the forest, such as the bio-industry of medicines and food, consumer and ornamental aquaculture, self-management of timber and non-timber with value added, experienced-based tourism and agroforestry.
• Ministry of Environment and National Commission on Climate Change: Solving conflicts between Protected Natural Areas and indigenous peoples: Yaguas (including Communal Reserve), Manu, Ichijat Mujat, Pacaya Samiria, Sierra del Divisor. Include our proposals to comply with the NDC: Implement Redd + Amazon Indigenous in 12 territories for 2.5 mills. hectares, applying the National Forest Strategy and Climate Change, DS 007-2016) / Community Forestry Watch / Indigenous Economy of Full Life / Climate adaptation with the wisdom of indigenous women.
• Amazon Regional Governments (CIAM): Punish corruption in traffic land that invades communities in favor of agribusiness intermediaries. Postpone logging concessions. Implement the Technical Units of Community Forest Management to promote indigenous forest self-management. Promote initiatives of indigenous economy of plenty life.
• World Bank and International Cooperation: Evaluate the effectiveness of the Forest Investment Plan, used in the case “Saweto – Peru, living memory” which achieved 70 communities recognized and 20 titled in the first-year, and it is considered the most successful climate program due to its leadership by an indigenous steering committee and operational execution through 18 local indigenous organizations. With this lesson, to promote the targeting of climate programs towards indigenous peoples, their direct access and the intercultural adaptation of their mechanisms and procedures.
We request a meeting with their offices to discuss the proposed proposals.
Where there is people with rights, there will always be forests alive for everybody
National Board of Directors of AIDESEP